Start Submission Become a Reviewer

Reading: Prospective randomized study comparing the standard weight-based method and a novel method b...

Download

A- A+
Alt. Display

Research article

Prospective randomized study comparing the standard weight-based method and a novel method based on combined width of index, middle and ring fingers for ProSeal laryngeal mask airway size selection in paediatric patients

Authors:

Shaji Mathew,

Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka, IN
About Shaji
Professor
X close

Yogesh Kanta Gaude ,

Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka, IN
About Yogesh Kanta
Assistant Professor
X close

Sahana Hiriyanna,

Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka, IN
About Sahana
Junior Resident
X close

Arun Kumar Handigodu Duggappa,

Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka, IN
About Arun Kumar Handigodu
Associate Professor
X close

Shiyad Muhamed,

Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka, IN
About Shiyad
Assistant Professor
X close

Ajith Kumar Pillai

Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka, IN
About Ajith Kumar
Assistant Professor
X close

Abstract

Introduction: Appropriate size selection of ProSeal laryngeal mask airway (PLMA) is an important prerequisite for successful use of the device. Size of PLMA is often selected based on weight of patients. We aimed to determine whether combined width of patient’s index, middle and ring fingers could be used as an alternative to weight based selection of appropriate size of PLMA.

Materials and methods: In this prospective randomized study, 102 patients aged 6 months to 10 years were included. Patients were allocated to one of two groups based on a randomization table and PLMA inserted according to the group allocated. In Group S, PLMA size selected according to weight based method whereas in Group N, PLMA size was selected based on 3-finger breadth of patients. We recorded insertion parameters, fiberoptic scoring of glottic visualisation, airway manipulations and postoperative complications.

Results: In 68 children (66.66%) size of PLMA was same according to both methods. The kappa coefficient was 0.461 concluding moderate agreement between two methods. In the remaining 34 children (33.34%), the disagreement in sizes were with only one size, in whom the patient’s weights were borderline values. The PLMA insertion time, ease of insertion, insertion attempts, fiberoptic view of position of device were comparable in both groups. There were no significant complications in the postoperative period.

Conclusion: Three finger breadth sizing method can be used as a good alternative to weight-based method for selecting appropriate size of PLMA in children.

How to Cite: Mathew, S. et al., (2018). Prospective randomized study comparing the standard weight-based method and a novel method based on combined width of index, middle and ring fingers for ProSeal laryngeal mask airway size selection in paediatric patients. Sri Lankan Journal of Anaesthesiology. 26(2), pp.118–123. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/slja.v26i2.8320
Published on 14 Jul 2018.
Peer Reviewed

Downloads

  • PDF (EN)

    comments powered by Disqus