Start Submission Become a Reviewer

Reading: Post extubation stridor due to bilateral vocal cord palsy following button battery ingestion...

Download

A- A+
dyslexia friendly

Case Reports

Post extubation stridor due to bilateral vocal cord palsy following button battery ingestion – A rare and forgotten complication of button battery ingestion in children

Authors:

Puwackwaththa Arachchige Lochanie Nimali ,

National Hospital of Sri Lanka, LK
About Puwackwaththa Arachchige
Senior Registrar in Anaesthesiology
X close

Senaka Weerakoon

Lady Ridgeway Hospital- Colombo, LK
About Senaka
Consultant Anaesthetist
X close

Abstract

We report a patient who developed bilateral vocal cord palsy following button battery ingestion.

A two and half year old girl presented with a history of button battery ingestion. Rigid oesophagoscopy was performed within 3 hours. Patient developed post extubation stridor with respiratory distress.

Bilateral vocal cord palsy is a rare complication of button battery ingestion which can lead to an airway catastrophe. Decision on timing of extubation is crucial to avoid immediate post-operative  respiratory distress.

Expedited removal of lodged button battery, increased vigilance for possible complications and long term follow up is of utmost importance.

DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/slja.v24i1.8092
How to Cite: Nimali, P.A.L. & Weerakoon, S., (2016). Post extubation stridor due to bilateral vocal cord palsy following button battery ingestion – A rare and forgotten complication of button battery ingestion in children. Sri Lankan Journal of Anaesthesiology. 24(1), pp.32–34. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/slja.v24i1.8092
0
Views
0
Downloads
Published on 11 Feb 2016.
Peer Reviewed

Downloads

  • PDF (EN)

  • XML (EN)

  • PDF (EN)

    comments powered by Disqus